Downtown Farmington Restaurants Cook Up 'Art to Dine For' Tonight
Head downtown for restaurant specials, a walking art tour and more starting at 6 p.m.
Downtown Farmington will be bustling with activity as the Farmington Downtown Development Authority (DDA) launches Fine Art Friday Nights tonight at 6 p.m.
Restaurants have cooked up art-themed specials "Frances Bacon Pig Pen Pie" and the "Cezannewich Special" for the "Art to Dine For" restaurant walk.
The event complements the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) Inside|Out open air art exhibit in downtown Farmington and is the first of three events held on the second Fridays of April, May and June.
Farmington’s exhibit, in place until June 30, includes seven outdoor installations along Grand River and Farmington Road at Starbucks, City Hall, Premier Apartment Staffing, Masonic Hall, Mentobe Café, Grace Insurance and Dimitris Restaurant.
Art to Dine For participants will receive a punch card, which can be redeemed, with three punches, for a small artsy prize from the DDA. Restaurants include John Cowley & Sons, Dagwood’s Deli, BPage's Food & Spirit, Luigi’s Trattoria, Mentobe Café, Tina’s Coney Island, Dimitris, Bellacino’s, Ginger’s Café and Basement Burger Bar.
Sarian Jewelry Gallery will host a wine and cheese reception celebrating the art of local painter and Farmington Art Foundation member Girija Viswanath. The event will feature a sugar sculpture by the Oakland Community College Culinary Arts Dept.
An art troupe, provided by Shining Star Performing Arts Academy, will roam the streets and dining establishments providing entertainment.
At 7:45 p.m., art walkers are encouraged to bring flashlights and meet at Starbucks in front of the installation, Syria by the Sea, for a lantern-led walking tour of the art by a DIA docent.
Here's the full list of event specials:
- Basement Burger Bar - The DaVinci Code Drink Special - $5
- Bellacino's - The Michaelangelo Special - Any 1/2 Grinder, Chips & Drink - $6.99
- Cowley's - Portrait of an Angel-Food cake - $4.95
- Dagwood's Deli - Cezannewich Special - Buy One, Get One Half-Off
- Dimitri Brothers - Picasso's Secret Gyro with Greek Salad - $4.95
- Ginger's Cafe - "Palette Pleasing" Ginger Peach Tea - $2.25 and Ginger Peach Torte - $4.95
- Luigi's Trattoria - Culinary Art Collector Special - 20 percent off entire bill (excludes alcohol, dine-in only)
- Mentobe Cafe - Frances Bacon Pig Pen Pie - $2.95
- Page's Food & Spirits - FREE Masterpiece Clam Chowder with Any Beverage Purchase
- Tina's Coney Island - Chicken El Greekco - Chicken Greek Salad - $4.99
Learn more about this and other Inside|Out events at downtownfarmington.org.