Get into the holiday spirit and help the victims of Superstorm Sandy on Tuesday, during the City of Farmington Hills 20th Annual Holiday Lights ceremony, held at Fire Station #5 on the city's municipal campus at 11 Mile and Orchard Lake Roads.
During the 6:30 p.m. event, city officials will flip the switch on a 20-foot candle, which represents the community's commitment to peace and unity. After the ceremony, Santa arrives at Fire Station #5, and refreshments will be served. The Farmington Hills Youth Choir will lead a community sing-along; other participants include Miss Farmington Elena Pavlicas and her court, and Farmington-Farmington Hills District Girl Scouts.
To help those affected by Superstorm Sandy, bring any of the following:
- Non-perishable food such as cereal, crackers, canned soups and ravioli, powdered milk, water, peanut butter, jelly, canned tuna or canned chicken
- Cleaning supplies
- Toiletries such as shampoo, soap, toilet paper, toothpaste and toothbrushes, deodorant, and razors for both men and women
- New and gently used clothing, blankets, towels, socks, underwear
- Can openers
- Plastic plates, utensils, and garbage bags
- Baby items such as baby cereal, diapers, wipes and formula
Source: City of Farmington Hills press release