First Thing Farmington-Farmington Hills: Sept. 20, 2012
A student involved in a program for accelerated learners in Farmington Schools is featured in today's Youtube.com video.
Start your Thursday by watching a talented Farmington-area student passionately argue for encouraging the practice of meditation in prisons, in a video posted yesterday at Youtube.com.
According to the post, the video was recorded during semi-finals for the STARS Debate program, founded during the 2011-2012 school year by an Eastern Michigan University student, who worked with Farmington Together for Accelerated Learners (TAL), a Farmington Schools parent-led networking group focused on the needs of high-achievers. Information about STARS and other TAL programs is on-line, at farmingtontal.wordpress.com.
Follow the links below to learn more about today's events, and check the "Look ahead" list for upcoming events that require you to register or purchase tickets:
- Newcomer Welcome Tour for adults 50 and older (10:30 a.m.)
- Who Do You Think You Are? Genealogy workshop (6:30 p.m.) - registration required
- Travel Baseball Tryouts (7 p.m.) - registration required
- Farmington Traffic and Safety Board meeting - agenda attached (7 p.m.)
- Farmington Hills Planning Commission meeting - agenda attached (7:30 p.m.)
- Farmington Rotary Queen of Hearts Raffle (9 p.m.)
- Hunger Games Movie - special showing (Friday)
- Two Muses Theatre: "A Little Work" (Friday-Sunday)
- Hayride Central at Heritage Park - registration not required, but highly recommended (Saturday)
- Special Education Law and Advocacy for Parents (Tuesday)