Two medical assistants at NorthPointe Foot & Ankle Medical in Berkley have started a donation campaign to keep soldiers front of mind and stocked with some bare essentials.
Mike Lane, a former Marine living in Farmington, and Craig Alexander, a former Navy Corpsman living in Clarkston, still have ties to many soldiers on active duty. With the support of clinic physicians, they will begin collecting items that will be mailed directly to the 800-plus marines and sailors of the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines in Afghanistan.
Donations will be collected throughout the year and mailed as boxes are filled. Items needed include:
- Tweezers, nail clippers, nail files
- Lip balm
- Dental floss, toothbrushes, toothpaste
- Shaving cream, disposable blades
- Face wash towelettes
- Spray deodorant
- Baby wipes in pouches (not canisters)
- Cotton swabs
- Socks (Brown)
- Army green t-shirts
- Candy (it is cold in Afghanistan right now, so chocolate is acceptable)
- Magazines, paper, pens
- Decks of cards, hand-held games (with batteries)
- Flavoring packets for water
- Hand written letters (will be read by an officer before they reach the unit)
Items may be brought to NorthPointe Foot & Ankle, 27901 Woodward Ave., Suite 110, Berkley, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Call 248-545-0100 for more information.
Correction: The address for NorthPointe Foot & Ankle was incorrectly reported in the original version of this story, due to inaccurate information provided.