Snowstorm Buckled Winery/Power House Building Roof 100 Years Ago
The 1912 storm heavily damaged the iconic red brick building at Grand River and Orchard Lake Road.
To put this week's chilly weather into perspective, we offer a look back at a 1912 snowstorm that caused heavy damage to the Winery/Powerhouse building still standing on Grand River at Orchard Lake Rd.
The pictures with this post show the south side roof collapsed on what was then a powerhouse for the Detroit United Railway (D.U.R.) interurban transportation system. The snow also piled up on the tracks, slowing cars that traveled between Farmington and Detroit, as well as points north and west.
In addition to a trip back in time, we've got a list of events happening in Farmington and Farmington Hills today. Also included are later events for which you'll need to register.
- Dubin Cleaners & Laundry Winter Warmth Campaign (all day)
- Donate Shoes 4 BDF Cat Rescue Fundraiser (all day)
- Busch’s Fresh Food Market Season of Sharing Food Drive (all day)
- Farmington Rotary Lunch (11:45 a.m.)
- Community Thanksgiving Feast (4 p.m.-7 p.m.)
- One Step Aweigh meetings
- Farmington School Board Meets (7:30 p.m.)
- Farmington Rotary Lunch (Tuesday)
- Facing Cancer? Attend Free Educational Program at Botsford Hospital (Wednesday)
- Thanksgiving for Nature (Saturday)
- Returning Castaway Michael Skupin (Saturday)
- Scout Days at the Nature Center (Saturday)