Libraries are often overlooked as places that can provide free or low-cost entertainment in the community. Here are five things you may, or may not, know about the Farmington Community Library.
1. Did you know you can check out free passes to state parks around Michigan at the library? Get free passes for the MI Big Green Gym, a program designed to promote overall well-being and a healthy lifestyle through use of parks and recreation facilities. There are more than 100 state parks available for you to explore.
2. Parks and campgrounds not your thing? You can use your library card to print a pass, at your home or at the library, to one of 60 participating museums across the state. The Michigan Activity Pass gives you either complimentary or reduced admission. Popular museums include Cranbrook Art Museum, Meadowbrook Hall and the Detroit Institute of Arts.
3. Can't wait for a movie to come to the Farmington Civic Theater to save money on tickets? Check out the movie selection at the library. (Tip: Check the "Your Lucky Day" shelves.)
4. Farmington Public Library cardholders may download free eBooks by using library’s OverDrive service or the 3M Cloud Library. Both are compatible with Android devices, Apple iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook.
5. Love music but hate paying for digital downloads? Tap into a wide variety of pop, jazz, classical and other music genres through Freegal, which offers access to more than 3 million songs. Freegal has also developed an app for listening on Adroid and iOS devices.