Preschool Teacher/Director Opening at Mayfair Co-op Preschool
*responses due by January 24, 2014*
Mayfair Co-Op Preschool is a nonprofit, nondiscriminatory organization administered by parents. The school has served families in the Farmington area for 60 years. Some parents serve on an elected board of directors and set school policy and oversee school finances. Families with children in our Threes and Fours programs are classified as full co-op members. Each of these families is assigned a year-long job. Threes and Fours parents work in the classroom one to a two times per month. Parents and teachers work hand in hand to create a strong and positive community for children ages two through five. We emphasize developmentally-appropriate learning through self-discovery and creative hands-on experiences.
Mayfair Co-op Preschool seeks a nurturing, motivated and creative teacher to join our cooperative preschool community. We offer four classes for children ages two through five years:
- Parent/Tot (our class for two-year-olds) meets Monday from 1-2:3
- Threes meets Tuesday and Thursday from 9:30-11:55
- Fours meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:30-11:55
- Enrichment (which is an optional supplement to the Fours class) meets Wednesday from 1:00-3:25.
Our new Director/Teacher will begin leading classes in September 2014 and will be compensated for planning work occurring over the summer.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has prior experience teaching preschool
- Meets the State of Michigan’s qualifications for a Program Director as specified in Center Child Care Licensing Rules R 400.5103(3):
- Bachelor's degree or higher in early childhood education or child development (preferred)
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a child-related field with 18 semester hours in early childhood education or child development and 480 hours of experience.
- Associate's degree in early childhood education or child development with 18 semester hours in early childhood education or child development and 480 hours of experience.
- Montessori credential with 18 semester hours in early childhood education or child development and 960 hours of experience.-OR-Child development associate credential with 18 semester hours in early childhood education or child development and 960 hours of experience.
- 60 semester hours with 18 semester hours in early childhood education or child development and 1920 hours of experience.
- Meets the State of Michigan’s qualifications for a Program Director as specified in Center Child Care Licensing Rules R 400.5103(4): A program director shall have at least 2 semester hours in child care administration from an accredited college or university, or a minimum of 3.0 CEUs in child care administration.
- Is a compassionate, community-oriented teacher who is comfortable working with children and parents in a cooperative classroom setting.
- Promotes a play-based curriculum supporting positive social skills and emotional growth in the classroom.
- Provides a path to kindergarten-readiness.
- Has a strong commitment to promoting communication between families and the teachers.
- 60 years of history in the Farmington community.
- Enthusiastic parent support.
- A salary that covers attendance at parent, board meetings and other school functions.
- A large, open classroom with a full inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Small class ratio 1:4 (with working parents in classroom).
- Opportunities for professional development.
- A great location in Farmington Hills, on Farmington Road just south of 14 Mile Road.
- Newly renovated playground.
- Possibility of working alongside your own child(ren)!
- A salary of $15/hour.
- The teacher works closely with children and their parents in the classroom.
- The teacher provides appropriate lessons and activities in an environment for children to grow emotionally, intellectually, socially, and physically.
- The teacher provides parents with direction and serves as a model for working with young children.
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- The curriculum should include a variety of first-hand experiences that will enhance and encourage the children’s development and a predictable but flexible schedule for children that allows for a balance of active and quiet play.
- Plan and attend field trips related to class content. Our Threes and Fours classes typically attend four to six field trips per year.
- Delegate and collaborate with the Teacher’s Assistant.
- Share and communicate curriculum with parents on a daily, weekly and monthly basis via email, in person and in newsletter.Orient parents to the role of classroom volunteer.
- Supervise parents in the daily operation of the classroom.
- Collaborate with the Teacher’s Assistant to create a curriculum that enables children to build skills and experiences from year to year as they move through the 3-year program.
- Manage materials and resources for the children’s activities.
- Make recommendations to the board for purchasing equipment and supplies for the school.
- Serve as a team member, along with the Teacher’s Assistant and child’s parent, to develop individual goals for the child.
- Prepare for and lead parent teacher conferences once a year.
- Attend monthly board and parent meetings (usually the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. at school).
- Participate in school events such as Open House, School Auction, etc., (usually 4-5 each year).
- Attend to light administrative duties.
- Develop a yearly professional development plan to share with the parent education instructor and the cooperative board.
- Attend workshops, classes, and/or observe in other programs to increase teaching skills.
- Oversee compliance with State of Michigan licensing requirements.
- CPR & 1st Aid Certified or able to be certified by September 1.
- Ability to lift and carry 35-60 lbs.
How to apply:
Inquiries in person or by phone will not be considered. Please include the following to: Hiring Committee Chair at email@example.com.
- A cover letter describing your experience and interest in working with 2 to 5 year old children.
- A resume.
- Three professional references (names and phone numbers).
- Sample lessons for one week of preschool instruction for 2, 3 and 4 year old classes.
Our interview process will include a series of phone and in-person interviews over the course of several weeks. Candidates must pass a comprehensive background screen.