1. The weather
Today will be cloudy through mid-morning with a high near 37. The National Weather Service predicts tonight will be mostly clear with a low around 24.
2. Hills firefighters honored
Today, Oakland County Commissioners William Dwyer and Jim Nash will honor Farmington Hills firefighters Ryan B. Munsell and Bryan R. Hewitt for their bravery and life-saving efforts last May, when they rescued an unconscious 62-year old woman from a fire. The proclamation will be presented at 7 p.m., in the Oakland County Board of Commissioners’ Auditorium, located at 1200 North Telegraph Road, in Pontiac.
3. DVD Embargo and the Library
Even though the concluding episode of the Harry Potter DVD series has been on sale in stores since Nov. 11, it won't be on the shelves until next month, because of a new embargo policy by Warner Home Video. According to the library's website, Warner now waits 28 days before theatrical release movie DVDs are distributed to libraries and home video rental stores. Learn what you can do to protest the policy at farmlib.org.
4. Donating and the Library
Both the Farmington Community Library and are collection points this year for three holiday drives:
- Mittens, gloves and hats for children, which will be distributed through Neighborhood House
- New children's books, which will be distributed through the Farmington Area Goodfellows' Care and Share program (through Dec. 9)
- New children's books for the Detroit Free Press "Gift of Reading" program (through today)
5. Look ahead: Book discussion for seniors
The offers a book discussion on the first Thursday of every month for adults 50 and older, at the . At 1 p.m. tomorrow, they'll be talking about Dancing for Degas by Kathryn Wagner. Advance registration is required; for more information, call 248-473-1830.