Today's historic photograph, taken in the early 1870s, shows a view of downtown Farmington that dramatically changed on Oct. 9, 1872, when fire swept through the business district.
According to 1877 history of Farmington Township, by John Willyard, the fire destroyed more than a half dozen businesses, along with the Masonic Hall, Farmington Township Hall and township records. The new township hall, opened in 1876, is now home to the Farmington Masonic Lodge, which initially leased the upper level of the building.
To learn more, read Willyard's book on the Farmington Community Library website, check out a copy at the library or purchase a copy at the Heritage & History Center in Farmington Hills.
Or just browse through our list of events happening today, as well as those later in the week that require registration or a ticket purchase:
- Dubin Cleaners & Laundry Winter Warmth Campaign (all day)
- Donate Shoes 4 BDF Cat Rescue Fundraiser (all day)
- HealthQuest Helps HAVEN (all day)
- Toastmasters International (9 a.m.)
- (6:30 p.m.)
- Community for Spiritual Inquiry Meets (7 p.m.)
- Wednesday Night Sessions: A Monthly Reading Series (7 p.m.)
- Make Budgeting a Choice Not A Chore (Thursday)
- Identification of the Gifted Child: Description and Interpretation of IQ Tests (Thursday)
- "7 Habits of Highly Effective Teenagers" Workshop (Friday)
- Nature Center Activities on School Half-Days (Friday)
- St. Lucia Breakfast Celebration (Saturday)
- Farmington Elks #1986 Annual Hoop Shoot Contest (Saturday)
- Crafting for a Warm S.O.U.L. (Saturday)