Six third grade students from Beechview Elementary School wowed the audience at Tuesday night's Farmington Public Schools Board of Education meeting, with a Japanese fan dance.
Emma Anzivino, Ella D'Errico, Christina Carr, Miranda Burke, Janie Thurston and Lily Schwalm, all third graders, gave up their recess time to practice their dance, teacher MiSuk Drews said.
The performance was among several tributes paid by students in honor of School Board Appreciation Month:
- A chorus of 20 students from Gill Elementary sang "Do Re Mi" and "Edelweiss", from The Sound of Music
- Gill art students contributed a painting in the style of an artist they studied
- Hillside Elementary's Green Team delivered lanyards made of recycled plastic bags
- Harrison High contributed a ceramic bowl for the board room student art collection
- East Middle School students contributed block art
- Forest Elementary students contributed a "poster quilt"
- Wood Creek Elementary students sent a giant "thank you" card
- Alameda Early Childhood Education Center students sent a "Smilebox" video to board members via email
- Power Upper Elementary students gifted officials with "Wordle" pieces of art that incorporated words describing school board members
Additional presentations are expected at the board's Jan. 29 meeting.
Correction: The contribution from Power Upper Elementary students was inadvertently omitted from the original list of gifts.