In the end, it came down to a sing-off.
At the request of the judges, four Farmington Idol contestants took an extra turn at the close of Thursday's preliminary round of competition, to determine the last of 10 finalists who will compete at 6 p.m. today during the Downtown Farmington Founders Festival.
Thirteen hopefuls performed 90-second a capella solos at on Grand River. They covered artists ranging from Billy Joel and the Beatles to Adele and Lady Antebellum.
Finalists who will compete on the Meijer Family Stage in include:
- Lekha Matyala, 16, of Farmington Hills
- Amanda Bean, 17, of Farmington Hills
- Wendy Vasquez-Conway, 54, of Farmington Hills
- Maggie Raftery, 19, of Farmington
- Elizabeth Heffron, 20, of Farmington Hills
- Jamie Loftus, 22, of Farmington
- Megan Scott, 20, of Farmington
- Alissa Bandalene, 21, of Sylvan Lake
- Marie Bossio, 40, of Livonia
- Skip Dietz, 40, of Redford
Also competing were Mark Drum and Corey Goines of Farmington and Jim Stallings of Plymouth. Judges were professional vocalist Amy Malaney, teacher and Farmington Hills Youth Choir director Brian Christian, actor Mike Gingerella and Elvis impersonator Fred Wolfe, who performed during intermission.
The finals are free and open to the public.